One of the most impressive of King Edward 1's Welsh castles, and just a 35 minutes drive from Bodysgallen Hall
Caernarfon Castle was built on the previous site of a Norman motte-and-bailey castle, and before that a Roman fort. Its polygonal towers were a move away from round towers, and the Eagle Tower is the most impressive.
King Edward stamped his supremacy on the Welsh population when his son, the first English Prince of Wales was born in the castle in 1284. In 1969, the investiture of the current Prince of Wales, HRH Prince Charles took place here.
The Royal Welch Fusiliers' Museum is housed in two of the castle's towers.
Under the protection of CADW (Welsh word meaning 'to protect'), the Welsh Government's historic environment service, Caernarfon Castle along with Conwy Castle, Harlech Castle and Beaumaris Castle, has been part of the Castles and Town Walls of Edward 1 World Heritage Site since 1986.